Monday, March 6, 2017

Canowindra Ride (5 March 2017)

From a gully in the middle of the highway appears a vehicle of the constabulary and as it hits the concrete road surface the blue and red lights come on. I'm ahead of myself so let's start at the beginning.

I arrived at the Caltex service station in Nicholls at 8:30. Surprise, I'm the first to arrive. I thought, ok I have time and will wait, they have either left earlier or it's a later start. Either were possible as the Ulysses site didn't have a depart time. Bikes start arriving so there's a ride on. Ian send word that he will not be able to lead the ride as he was injured. Apparently Ian had a fight with an inanimate piece of furniture resulting in a broken toe. Who knows what injuries Ian would have sustained if the furniture fought back. Get well soon Ian. In light of this new information and the unfortunate timing of Trevor arriving to fuel up the group unanimously voted Trevor as the new ride leader. He was advised of this outcome when he walks over to the group. Well done and thank you Trevor for taking on the role, be it reluctantly. Seven bikes and eight people ready to enjoy a days riding. What could go wrong? Read on. I take up the Tail end Charlie role.


Quick weather report, partly cloudy 28 degrees with a chance of storms in the afternoon. 


So we head out with our newly elected ride leader but as we reach Hall one of our group turns around and heads home. Bike problems I think. We continue out through Murrumbateman heading down the highway to our turn off to Binalong. Before we pass Yass on the highway I gently apply my brakes as the police car enters the highway. I'm not sure how many of you do this, most I would assume, but the first thing through my head was, speeding and quickly check the speedometer. Then wondered if they were waiting for me to pass them so they could flag me down but no, they accelerate down the road. Were they going after Trevor at the front and would we all get to have our registration and licence checked after being pulled over. None of these, a car travelling faster than us and texting. The latter detail I found out at our morning tea stop in Boorowa.


A brief stop at the Superb Bakery in Boorowa where we discussed the previous events and progressed to the joys and challenges of bringing up adult children. No solution there so don't ask us.

Leaving Boorowa we exchanged waves with some children playing in their front yard. We headed along Rugby and Frogmore Roads making our way to Cowra. Frogmore, a small town of 50 people, copper was mined in the late 1800's and requires your speed to be reduced to 60km/h as you pass through the area. The significance of this fact will be revealed later. 


Traveling along these country roads and looking across the countryside at the hills eroded down by the weather to reveal granite boulders and covered in straw coloured grass and small clumps of eucalyptus trees. What a beautiful country to live in and a great day to be riding under blue sky's punctuated by white fluffy clouds. Through Darbys Falls which appears to be home to a public observatory to Cowra and a small population of 150 souls.
 

We make our way into Cowra and Murphy's Law finally strikes. Tail end Charlie can be be a very relaxing when on a ride with the club but you are reliant on your corner markers to keep the group together. I unfortunately found myself behind a Cowra local who was not quick enough to make a left turn in the main street and I had to wait while the rest of our group rode on. Little did I know that the group had stopped for fuel but for me there was no sign of them. As I proceeded down the main street I took the right turn to Canowindra as it was clearly sign posted. I asked myself where was the corner marker but assumed as the road was clearly marked they had carried on. Not so. After travelling a few kilometres out of town I decided there was a problem and returned to find the group parked waiting for me. One of our group started searching for their lost comrade, AKA me. Unfortunately they did not follow on to Canowindra and lunch with us but I am grateful to them for taking the time to make the search.
 

Lunch in Canowindra at Taste Canowindra was nice be it taking a while to be prepared. We left about quarter past two back to Cowra and then back along the Lachlan Valley Way to Boorowa. The skies began to darken but remained rain free so still great riding weather. 

Along the Way we passed through a few small town one of which had a population of just 40 people and here is the significance of Frogmore. At just 40 people the speed limit through this small town was only reduced to 80 km/h. As I passed through the the town my mind enquires is the magic population number 50 or more to slow traffic to 60km/h and if so it's interesting that speed limits are modelled around population and not road conditions or safety consideration. I'm sure that's not the case but isn't it nice to clears ones head and just let silly thought come and go in you mind. I think that is what riding does for you. Allows you to be in the moment.

As we approach Yass a spattering of rain began hitting my visor and helmet. Curse you weather man for being sort of right. Thankfully the heavy rain held off and I, and I assume my other travellers, arrived home safe, dry and sound.
Special thanks to Trevor for the lead and the group for a fun and entertaining day.


Ride often ride safe.

The riders were:

  • Trevor McLeod FJR 1300
  • David Dawson 1200GS
  • Jim Bass C50 Boulevard
  • Garry McCurley VFR 1200
  • Natalie TeBay VFR 1200 (pillion)
  • Kris Jirasek GSXR 1300
  • Les Robinson Triumph Trophy
  • Andrew Campbell FJR 1300