Saturday, December 24, 2016

Andrew Sees Rajasthan – December 2016

I’ve not long returned from a fourteen day tour of Rajasthan, India, which – I have to tell you – was the most memorable motorbike tour I’ve ever done. Now, admittedly, I’ve only done three but I’m confident this one will be hard to top.

I also wanted to give a plug to the tour company that provided the tour. The company is called Aboriginal Tours or Indian Motorcycle Tours. As value for money it was outstanding. I know there’s a high profile Australian couple that offer a similar tour but theirs is a lot more expensive and a lot more crowded (they had 27 on their last Rajasthan tour). I was on a tour with four others which was a small group, but the usual group size is around 12 – 18.
I won’t go through the itinerary day-by-day (click on the link below to see it). But I will offer the following.




The Sights
I had no idea that the fortifications (like castles) in Rajasthan would be so spectacular. Most of them were built later than their European counterparts and as a result seem in a lot better condition. They’re also invariably built on very high peaks that command a great view as well as making them very impressive on approach. There’s also a very rich history attached to the forts.



Accommodation
Excellent. All high quality resort style accommodation often with pool. As a bonus, this time of year is Indian wedding season, often held at the same accommodation resorts or nearby, so it’s very easy to end up as a guest of honour at an Indian wedding.



The Food
I was ready for my holiday to be a pseudo weight-loss program and to come home a few kilos lighter just in time for a Christmas binge. Sadly, not to be. I didn’t get sick and I vacuumed up food like a Biggest Loser contestant sent home early. 


In short the food was magnificent (admittedly I like Indian food). The restaurants (included in the tour) we visited were often rooftop style or otherwise spectacularly situated. Breakfasts were western/Indian if an Indian breakfast was a little daunting.

The People
Very warm and friendly. However, separating the ones who were being genuinely warm and friendly from the touts and pan-handlers (who were also warm and friendly although often with bad teeth) could be challenging. We often rode through small villages that don’t see a tourist and were always waved at by the kids. Use of English is very widespread.
Did I mention that there’s 1.25billion people in India! You’re never far from humanity.

The Roads
The roads are challenging. In fact it’s here I’ll sound a cautionary note. I wouldn’t do the tour if you’re looking for a sports bike style experience. The roads are potholed, there are various cows, camels, dogs, people, etc., all over the roads at any one time. In fact most of the riding we did was around 70 - 80 kph. However, I never felt the need to go faster and enjoyed the opportunity to look around and enjoy the sights more.

The Cost
The total cost for the tour which includes nearly everything (except airfares, lunches and attraction entry costs) was around $3300, if you share a room with someone else.  I went for the single room supplement which brought the price up to around $3900.



To Conclude
In short, if you’ve ever wanted to see India - do it. I can guarantee it’ll be memorable! If you want know more let me know.

Andrew C


http://indianmotorcycletours.com/itinerary-rajasthan-motorcycle-tours-india-north-to-south.html