Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ride Report – Batemans Bay 2 September 2012


Who would have thought? It’s Father’s Day, so I didn’t expect a huge turnout at the new Woolworths/Caltex at EPIC when I got there at 0915 on the 2 September. But then, the weather was nice (it is the second day of spring). We had a crowd, and some more were expected to meet up with us at Bungendore. I advised that I was more than happy for others to set the pace if they so desired, and we set off. I had asked Al Munday if he can lead us to a Fish & Chips eatery at Batemans Bay, as I don’t really frequent the place and wouldn’t know what’s on offer. Al suggested we gather up at Nelligen after we’ve made our own pace down the Clyde once coffee was had at Braidwood. Good idea! Two (plus one) of the attendees were riding CanAm’s, and their intent was to peel off at Braidwood, while another was to peel off to Ulladulla at the Bay turnoff.

The intent was that I would lead the ride, but I was expecting my friend Melissa from Hash House Harriers to join as at EPIC, but no show! We decided to head off to Bungendore, and I didn’t get the text that said she’s ill, and won’t be coming. Melissa had invited another friend (both these girls are close to being able to join Ulysses, so why not!) and Karena was one of those meeting us in Bungendore. I did get the next text from Mel, saying ‘stuff it, I’m coming, and I’ll meet you in Bungendore’. I arrived there, to find Mick Winters, Karena, Marilyn and Steve waiting in Bungendore, but no Mel. Trevor had begun the ride but just near Eaglehawk he had to make a call and we found that he’d had to call it quits for the day.



I asked Mick to lead in to the Braidwood bakery, and I’ll wait for Mel as she is not the most experienced of riders. And so Mick I was left alone in Bungendore, where I didn’t have to wait for long before Mel showed. We headed off for Braidwood at the maximum allowable speed without attracting too much attention to us, and arrived at the bakery just as the crew were finishing coffee. We skipped our pie & coffee and headed for the Clyde with me leading, but not for long, as Andrew had decided to set the pace. When we got to Nelligen, I had just taken off my helmet when the next group arrived. A surprise – Mel was in that first group of four. Her pace did surprise me as she was crook and hasn’t to now been confident on the ‘twisties’, but that seems to have been laid to rest! Alan Munday suggested we go through Batemans to Malua Bay for lunch, where parking would be easier and there is a large park for us to chill out. Decision made.   
Malua Bay

We ate, some headed home earlier than the rest of us, and then we made plans for the return leg. Discussion on where to fill up led me to the conclusion that we’ll stop for coffee in Bungendore and a refuel stop in Braidwood is optional. Alan led us out through Mogo after which I jumped in front. On the first part of the rise up the Clyde (Misty Mountain road area), Andrew again took lead and I followed, arriving at Braidwood and no sign of him! So I too chose to forgo the stop at Braidwood, and we waited at Bungendore for those wishing to have that farewell coffee. Others went straight home.

A great day, but I must apologise for the disorganisation that resulted. All’s well, I think everyone had a another good and safe day’s ride.

  • Ride Leader (?) - Chris Dietzel, Yamaha FJR1300
  • Andrew Campbell – Kawasaki ZX14R
  • Gary McCurley – Honda VFR1200
  • Peter Schrieber – SV650
  • John Sankey – Honda VFR800
  • Trevor McLeod – Yamaha FJR1300
  • Michael & Tracey Winters – Triumph ST1050
  • Peter Arday – Honda STR1300
  • Butch Wills – BMW K1500LTX
  • Alan & Lyn Munday – Kawasaki GTR1000
  • Glen Munday & Jacinta – Suzuki GSXF750
  • Michelle Mount – Suzuki Burgmann 650
  • Hartmut Kehm – BMW R1200GS
  • Steve Hopkins – Ducati MS1200
  • Marilyn Starick – Ducati ST4S Multistrada
  • Karena Knudsen – Aprilia Mana
  • Melissa Wilson – Honda Hornet 600
  • Shelly & Yvonne Wrigley – CanAm Spyder RT
  • Nell & Les Gray – CanAm Spyder RS